I just read this, and felt compelled to give my own "white-anglo-evangelical-quasi-independent-male" perspective to the contrary. Voting for Obama is a serious mistake because:
- Abortion - If there is ever a chance for Roe v. Wade to be overturned, it won't be with Obama. The greatest moral tragedy of our age will continue under his administration and Supreme Court appointments. True, a vote for McCain is no guarantee that Roe will be overturned, but let's at least get clear on the odds.
- Poverty / Prosperity - Government doesn't create wealth. It can and does redistribute wealth ala subsidies and entitlements, but it doesn't create it. I don't think Obama understands this - at all. His policies will only make it harder for the poor to break into the middle-class.
- Iraq - Obama's not going to pull out of Iraq until we're good and ready, and we all know it. We can't afford to leave a vacuum for Iran, Syria, and the rest to wade into. It sounds great to say he'll end it, but we're in for the long-haul and we all know it.
- European Allies - Has anyone noticed that France elected conservative pro-American Sarkozy? Sure, Tony Blair was tossed-out, but that's no real surprise. What are we really concerned about here? That Europeans won't buy iPods? This whole angle is completely overblown.
- Education - Obama is a pro-establishment, pro-teacher's union guy. Need I say more? Our system is totally broken and can only be fixed by free-market tools like vouchers to promote choice and competition.