I'll try to boil-down what I learned and how it radically changed my weight, my waist-line, my energy level, and my general health:
1. It is all about controlling your blood sugar. Our American diet is so loaded with simple carbohydrates - grains, starches, sodas, juice, etc., that we are just shocking the heck out of our blood sugar. This causes our body to store fat, need a nap, and feel hungry. No, rice is not good for you. Whole grains aren't really that great either. Now don't misunderstand, this isn't the Atkins diet. Remember, you want "slow carbs" like veggies and fruits (which break-down slowly), not "low carbs" generally speaking. Stay away from potato chips - they're the worst! Eat grains sparingly. They don't have taste anyway!
2. Eat more LEAN protein (turkey, shrimp, chicken breast). Don't go crazy eating bacon. This isn't about on-going ketosis. It is just about giving your body fuel that revs the metabolism and gives you nutrients for more lean muscle mass. It also fills you up so you can't really over eat.
3. Don't skip breakfast. Breakfast starts your metabolism. If you skip it, your body holds on to fat. Period.
4. Eat lots of good fiber. It helps keep blood sugar low and helps you on "the throne" if you know what I mean. I eat FiberOne cereal in the morning and a big salad in the evening. Easy.
5. Probiotics (live culture) in yogurt are the real deal. I'm not talking about the Dannon yogurt that was pasteurized. I'm talking about the Trader Joe-type stuff that has the probiotics added AFTER pasteurization. Eat a cup of it in the morning with your coffee and FiberOne. Watch the magic.
6. Snacks - I almost forgot. When you get the munchies, go for almonds - chocolate covered if you must. One handful will KILL your appetite until the next meal and will give you good protein / fat in the meantime.
7. Be active for 30 minutes a day. Doesn't matter what you do. Just do something - anything.
The weight fell off of me over the course of a year. I don't binge anymore. I DO NOT count calories because the lean protein and veggies fill me up. I splurge every other day or so - and I don't gain weight. It is all basic body chemistry. Try it out. You won't be disappointed.